Stuffed Swan Anyone?


Att : 611

Sutton United – 5   Harlow, Dack, S.Watson M.Watson (2 – 1 pen)

Walton & Hersham – 0

Whoa, Whoa, Slow DOWN!!! Let me get this straight, 2 league wins in 4 days, 8 goals scored with NONE in reply??

Yep, it’s true. Someone or something has given Sutton United a real kick up the arse as they follow up the 3-0 win at Chesham on Saturday with their biggest league win of the season, a 5-0 thumping of struggling Walton. The win is made all the more satisfying by the fact the U’s dominated from start to finish and dismissed a lowly placed side reduced to 10 men for after about 30 minutes.

United started strongly, with Nko Ekoku sending a hasty chip just wide after only a couple of minutes. Nko was in again only 2 minutes later when his shot was blocked by the Walton keeper. With these early chances squandered, was it to be another of those Cows Arse/Shovel nights or just a matter of time before the breakthrough came??? We were leaning towards the former when Nko headed a Steve Watson cross past Delroy Preddie, only to see it disallowed for pushing. Thankfully the breakthrough came after 21 minutes. A ball across the edge of the Walton area is met with a cracking low drive from Dave Harlow. Preddie is a touch slow getting down and the ball nestles in the bottom corner. 1-0. Sutton continued to control proceedings, with Paul Harford’s shot just over one of many dangerous moments for the ‘Swans’ rearguard. The U’s extended their lead after about half an hour as Dack forced his way through the defence and got to the ball a moment befor the ‘keeper to send a delicate chip into the far corner. 2-0.

Things got really bad for the visitors just before half time with (I think) Alan Dowson sent-off for a professional foul. Nko had pushed the ball bast the central defender only to be hauled back on the edge of the area with no other Walton player apart from the ‘keeper between him & the goal. Preddie’s protestations to the linesman are ignored. Walton pick up slightly in the face on their handicap but rarely threaten to haul themselves back into the game.

The second half sees United start slowly, but the visitors seem unable to take any advantage from this. They seem intent on trying to win a penalty with a couple of dubious tumbles in our 18 yard box. Thankfully the ref, Mike Dearing (who did a fine job at our game on Saturday!!), was having none of it. Waving away half hearted appeals. Waltons meagre resistance finally ended about 10 minutes into the second period, as a defenders attempt to turn with the ball only results in him back heeling it into his own area with Steve Watson lurking. His panic stricken attempt to make amends for his cock up results in Steve winning the ball on the byline, cutting back and drilling the ball under the sluggish Preddie. 3-0.

Salako and Naz appear to replace Nko & Dacky. Sal is soon running the defender responsible for our last goal ragged and it’s only good fortune (for them!) that prevents our guests going further behind. Number four arrives after about 70 minutes as Mark Watson recieves the ball, turns into the box and is promptly felled. Penalty. Preddie now proceeds to berate the other linesman, to no avail. With no Andy Riley about (injured) to melt the ball into the net, Mark Watson steps up. It is’nt the best struck spot kick you’ll see this season, but it has enough legs to find the net despite the ‘keeper gettiing a hand to it. 4-0.

Mark Harper replaces Gwynne Berry and is soon involved at the sharp end of things. Mark Watson is fouled and Preddies childish act of lumping the ball into the car park earns him a yellow card. No wonder they’re in the shit if they pick up bookings like that. Harlow delivers the free kick to the back post, Harper nods it back accross goal and Mark Watson collects his second goal, heading home from a couple of yards out. 5-0 and United still have time to miss a chance to go further ahead as Paul Harford hammers over from just inside the box.

A resounding win & hopefully this heralds the start of a good run that could take us back into serious contention for the Championship. More good news as we hear Aylesbury are 0-0 at Hampton and Dulwich are holding St Albans 2-2. Dulwich visit on Saturday & 3 points are vital if we want to continue our chalenge.

Man of the Match : Nko Ekoku. Did’nt score, but Walton simply could’nt handle his pace.

Entertainment Value : 9. Hey it’s a 5-0 win, lets not knock it!!!!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *